Igboists Forum - Nigerian Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Announcements

Mark Zuckerberg Promises To End Fake News On Facebook

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adabiafra
Adabiafra
Lv2: Member
Lv2: Member
Time Online : -1d 19h 17m 12s
My Club My Club : Liverpool

PostAdabiafra Sat 19 Nov 2016, 4:00 pm

Mark Zuckerberg Promises To End Fake News On Facebook Image

In a post on his Facebook profile late on Saturday, Mark Zuckerberg said Facebook is planning to deal with those endless fake stories “soon."
"Our goal is to show people the content they will find most meaningful, and people want accurate news," the CEO wrote. "We have already launched work enabling our community to flag hoaxes and fake news, and there is more we can do here. We have made progress, and we will continue to work on this to improve further."
Recently, fake news on Facebook included a widely shared false report just days before the election: The post claimed that an FBI agent investigating Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server had killed himself. The story seemed designed to derail the campaign. Your newsfeed is tailored to show you stories similar to what you and your friends have liked and shared in the past, and a fake story aimed at supporters of either candidate during the contentious election could easily spread — thus helping its creators earn major money from ad revenue.
President Barack Obama even called out the platform — which Facebook insists is not a media outlet — in the days leading up to the election.
However, Zuckerberg is adamant that fake news posts on Facebook did not alter the election, explaining in his post that only a small amount of posts are fake.
"Of all the content on Facebook, more than 99% of what people see is authentic," he writes. "Only a very small amount is fake news and hoaxes. The hoaxes that do exist are not limited to one partisan view, or even to politics. Overall, this makes it extremely unlikely hoaxes changed the outcome of this election in one direction or the other."
A recent BuzzFeed investigation found that Zuckerberg's 99% figure might not be accurate. According to the report, 38% of posts shared from three large right-wing politics pages on Facebook included "false or misleading information" and three large left-wing pages did the same nearly 20% of the time.
We also learned something amazing reading Zuckerberg's note. Facebook helped more people register to vote than ever.
"Overall, I am proud of our role giving people a voice in this election," he writes. "We helped more than 2 million people register to vote, and based on our estimates we got a similar number of people to vote who might have stayed home otherwise."
Brainstorm
Brainstorm
Lv3: Senior Member
Lv3: Senior Member
Time Online : 5s
My Club My Club : Manchester United

PostBrainstorm Sat 19 Nov 2016, 5:06 pm

Good but it will affect u not me.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum