Igboists Forum - Nigerian Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Announcements

Open Ballot system is better than secret ballot system durin elections in Nigeria

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Webtech
Webtech
Time Online : 4h 8m 25s
State : Ph
My Club My Club : Tottenham Hotspurs
Awards :

PostWebtech Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:08 am

I prefer open ballot system of voting. I totally hate secret ballot system.
Here are my reasons why I think that open ballot system of voting in election is better than secret ballot system.
1. It aids easy counting of votes.
2. It held in decrease of rigging.
Pastor Silas
Pastor Silas
Lv0: Stranger
Lv0: Stranger
State : Ebonyi
My Club My Club : no choice

PostPastor Silas Sun 09 Mar 2014, 12:05 am

Whether open or hidden they will still be rigging of elections in Nigeria
Hatch
Hatch
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Time Online : 10m 18s
State : Ebonyi State
My Club My Club : Manchester United
Awards :

PostHatch Sun 09 Mar 2014, 5:33 am

I think open ballot system is not even working for us as Nigerians. Haven't witness a election where the candidate send some people or even go personally to the people centers especially in the village and begin to pay anyone who will vote for them?

What we Nigerians need as the best system of voting in an election is far deeper than open and secret system.
Speed
Speed
Lv2: Member

PostSpeed Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:43 pm

Hatch wrote:I think open ballot system is not even working for us as Nigerians. Haven't witness a election where the candidate send some people or even go personally to the people centers especially in the village and begin to pay anyone who will vote for them?

What we Nigerians need as the best system of voting in an election is far deeper than open and secret system.
Deswimmer
Deswimmer
Administrator
Administrator
Gender Gender : Male
Time Online : 50d 3h 17m 1s
State : Enugu
My Club My Club : Real Madrid
Awards :

PostDeswimmer Sat 22 Mar 2014, 9:09 pm

We know our problem and even the solution but the case here is no one wants to make the first step. We all want to follow the wrong steps.

Open or secret will never work until each of us sees how we all have contributed negatively in this nation.
Favour
Favour
Lv1: New Member
Lv1: New Member
Time Online : 3h 21m 46s

PostFavour Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:31 pm

Open ballot system helps secure the interest of the people but the secret ballot system is always indoubt.
Zenith
Zenith
Lv3: Senior Member
Time Online : 1h 52m 24s

PostZenith Mon 24 Mar 2014, 8:38 am

Whether open or closed; hidden or secret ihe ka neme ka neme
Gunshot
Gunshot

PostGunshot Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm

Both can yield fruitul result if there are careful followed.
Jamesbond
Jamesbond
Time Online : 14m 25s
State : Nigeria
My Club My Club : Liverpool

PostJamesbond Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm

Acually, I must say that the two are very favourable to evry country that understands the meaning of leadership. Some nations may like to use open ballot while in another nation they can't try it.

In my opinion, i personally feel open ballot systen will be good for voting of election in Nigeria though it is still in use.
Jamesbond
Jamesbond
Time Online : 14m 25s
State : Nigeria

PostJamesbond Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:47 pm

Acually, I must say that the two are very favourable to evry country that understands the meaning of leadership. Some nations may like to use open ballot while in another nation they can't try it.

In my opinion, i personally feel open ballot systen will be good for voting of election in Nigeria though it is still in use.
Platemoney
Platemoney
Time Online : 44m 16s
My Club My Club : Chelsea

PostPlatemoney Thu 10 Apr 2014, 7:34 am

Both are totally different and yield different fruitful results we talk as if we no be human beings with brains. How can we say open is better than secret ballot system of voting?

I personally feel that most that comment do not even know the meaning of the two system of voting in an election. Here is the meaing of secre ballot system and open ballot system. the secret ballot system is when one votes secretly behind a closed room
during elections which gives adequate room for one's preferred
candidate while the open ballot system on the other hand is voting openly by queuing or otherwise, indicating the
candidate of their choice.

My question is, will you ever vote against someone in open ballot system of election? The answer is NO! If there is a wicked industralist you want to in disfavour you can't do that in open system of election.

I personally feels that secret is the best for any reasonable and sensible nation. Why did i make such comment. Ok, below are reasons.

The secret ballot system gives an adequate and conducive room for every voter to participate and to vote confidently and secretly with no fear of intimidation at the end of the election or during the exercise. However in the open ballot system the opposite is the case as it give voters discomfort and fear of voting for their preferred candidate especially when there are some crisis or misunderstandings during the excersis. This can even hinder some people from coming out to vote due to fear. I have witnessed so many election. Most at times it take courage for an individual to vote against someone in open system. In last chairmanship elections in my L.G.A, it was a real tussle as the man people wanted to vote against started dishing out cash N1, 000 to the poor masses to stand on his queue and voting.
The secret ballot system also makes it easy for re-counting in case there are legal disputes about the eventual winner- the
ballot paper can be recounted. But, the open ballot cannot be recounted the moment they
disperse at the end of the voting exercise. The only option for open system if there was crisis during the execersis is cancellation and the election will be re-schedule. Just like in the Anambra State governorship of 25th November, 2013.

The secret ballot system give cool atmosphere for tenants of a bad politicians, neighbours or employees of a wicked ndustrialists to vote against him without him discovering that people who are close to him dislike him as a political leader. How do you feel when someone you want to vote against is there staring at you eyeball to eyeball especially if the person is your boss? Oh boy! It takes courage to stand on your feet when voting against that person. Some people can only do it when there see that majority is voting against his boss, that is when more courage will be added to them to join and vote.

The secret ballot system frustrates
the desire of politicians who always wish to se money to influence people to vote for them during the election. During the open ballot voting, voters have been lured away to vote for the candidates offering bigger money and those who collect such bribes
always vote sheepishly for their payer. Thus, voters conscience sold to the highest bidder. This results to the winning of wrong person
to lead the nation. Which causes hard time in terms of the economic development of
the countries that use the open ballot system. Many of the votes are sold.

The above is my point which I want each and everyone of you to embrace with open arms.
Paradise
Paradise
Administrator
Administrator
Time Online : 8d 3h 36m 31s
State : Ebonyi
My Club My Club : Barcelona
Awards :

PostParadise Thu 10 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

Platemoney wrote:Both are totally different and yield different fruitful results we talk as if we no be human beings with brains. How can we say open is better than secret ballot system of voting?

I personally feel that most that comment do not even know the meaning of the two system of voting in an election. Here is the meaing of secre ballot system and open ballot system. the secret ballot system is when one votes secretly behind a closed room
during elections which gives adequate room for one's preferred
candidate while the open ballot system on the other hand is voting openly by queuing or otherwise, indicating the

My question is, will you ever vote against someone in open ballot system of election? The answer is NO! If there is a wicked industralist you want to in disfavour you can't do that in open system of election.

I personally feels that secret is the best for any reasonable and sensible nation. Why did i make such comment. Ok, below are reasons.

The secret ballot system gives an adequate and conducive room for every voter to participate and to vote confidently and secretly with no fear of intimidation at the end of the election or during the exercise. However in the open ballot system the opposite is the case as it give voters discomfort and fear of voting for their preferred candidate especially when there are some crisis or misunderstandings during the excersis. This can even hinder some people from coming out to vote due to fear. I have witnessed so many election. Most at times it take courage for an individual to vote against someone in open system. In last chairmanship elections in my L.G.A, it was a real tussle as the man people wanted to vote against started dishing out cash N1, 000 to the poor masses to stand on his queue and voting.  
The secret ballot system also makes it easy for re-counting in case there are legal disputes about the eventual winner- the
ballot paper can be recounted. But, the open ballot cannot be recounted the moment they
disperse at the end of the voting exercise. The only option for open system if there was crisis during the execersis is cancellation and the election will be re-schedule. Just like in the Anambra State governorship of 25th November, 2013.

The secret ballot system give cool atmosphere for tenants of a bad politicians, neighbours or employees of a wicked ndustrialists to vote against him without him discovering that people who are close to him dislike him as a political leader. How do you feel when someone you want to vote against is there staring at you eyeball to eyeball especially if the person is your boss? Oh boy! It takes courage to stand on your feet when voting against that person. Some people can only do it when there see that majority is voting against his boss, that is when more courage will be added to them to join and vote.

The secret ballot system frustrates
the desire of politicians who always wish to se money to influence people to vote for them during the election. During the open ballot voting, voters have been lured away to vote for the candidates offering bigger money and those who collect such bribes
always vote sheepishly for their payer. Thus, voters conscience sold to the highest bidder. This results to the winning of wrong person
to lead the nation. Which causes hard time in terms of the economic development of
the countries that use the open ballot system. Many of the votes are sold.

The above is my point which I want each and everyone of you to embrace with open arms.

well said
Brainstorm
Brainstorm
Time Online : 5s

PostBrainstorm Thu 10 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm

Nice topics
Chimex
Chimex
My Club My Club : Chelsea

PostChimex Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:43 pm

Open is better
Zenith
Zenith
Time Online : 1h 52m 24s

PostZenith Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm

Nigeria nigeria. We want things to change but we don't want to change ourselves. Changes to the nation starts when we must have changed from better to good.
Webtech
Webtech
Time Online : 4h 8m 25s
State : Ph
Awards :

PostWebtech Sat 03 May 2014, 4:14 pm

Platemoney, made a nice point
Adabiafra
Adabiafra
Time Online : -1d 19h 17m 12s

PostAdabiafra Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:16 pm

Why Secret Ballot System Is Better than Open Ballot System Today many Countries of the world are in politics but the differences between their politics is that during elections, some use the Secret Ballot System while others use Open Ballot system.

The differences between them have a great effect even to the economic development of the country involved. All in all, the Secret Ballot System is better than the Open Ballot System. But before I adduce my reasons, I will clarify the two major concepts.
First, the secret ballot system requires that one vote secretly behind a closed room during elections for one's preferred candidate while the open ballot system on the other hand entails voting openly by queuing or otherwise, indicating the

The secret ballot system is better than the open ballot system because many countries have tried the two system and the major disadvantages of the open ballot system;

The secret ballot system enables every voter to vote confidently and secretly without any fear of intimidation at the end of the
election or during the exercise. But, the open ballot system creates discomfort and fear in terms of choosing your preferred
candidate especially when there are some crisis or misunderstandings during the excersis. This can even hinder some people from coming out to vote due to fear.

The secret ballot system also makes it easy for re-counting in case there are legal disputes about the eventual winner- the ballot paper can be recounted. But, the open ballot cannot be recounted the moment they disperse at the end of the voting exercise.

Also, the secret ballot system makes it possible for tenants of a bad politicians or employees of a wicked industrialists to vote against him without he actually discovering that people who are close to him dislike his tactics or person as a political leader.
Moreover, the secret ballot system frustrates the desire of politicians who always wish to use money to influence people to vote for them during the election. During the open ballot voting, voters have been lured away to vote for the candidates offering bigger money and those who collect such bribes
always vote sheepishly for their payer. Thus, voters conscience sold to the highest bidder. This results to the winning of wrong person to lead the nation. Which causes hard time in terms of the economic development of the countries that use the open ballot system. Many of the votes are
sold.

Although both the two systems have merits and demerits , the secret ballot system is better than the open ballot system because it has more advantages over open ballot system.
frogman
frogman
Time Online : 41m 17s

Postfrogman Sat 03 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

Demarcations in the Struggle for “Unity”

But it is perhaps in ethnic and boundary conflicts—intensified by the historical creation and more recent recreation of states—that the caustic vestiges of the civil war continue to be preserved. As has already been stated, states creation initially weakened minority support for secession, though several minorities still fought on the side of Biafra. Nonetheless, for the first time eastern minorities were experiencing a sense of autonomy and visibility, and were not lost in the otherwise customary focus on the majority Igbos of the east. Good propaganda on the part of the federal side as well as imminent confrontations between Igbos and some minorities further widened the chasm that was steadily building between the groups. Minorities in captured areas were appeased by the security and semblance of economic revival that Nigeria reintroduced, which is why they were easily bought over and crossed over. As in any war, too, the losing side begins to look for internal
reasons for its gradual capitulation, all in a bid not to give the enemy credit. This was also the case in Biafra, at least partially. The more exacting things became for the ailing nation, the more the majority Igbos began to suspect the minority “strangers” in their midst, giving birth to the oft-delusional “sabo” phenomenon. Violent confrontations took place and sometimes escalated to the burning of villages and loss of lives. In his book, The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War, Alexander Madiebo briefly touches on this scenario:
Civil Defense Organizations from Umuahia and Aba, acting on orders from sources unknown to me or Army Headquarters, carried out an exercise to “comb” out saboteurs in the area of Ikot Ekpene. During that exercise some over-zealous civilians, particularly along the Umuahia road, in their search for saboteurs, burnt down a few thatched houses belonging to the Annangs.
My own uncle, Sergeant Gabriel Effiong, was almost shot at a checkpoint because he couldn’t speak Igbo. Fortunately for him, he was recognized and his identity confirmed by an observer who witnessed the near-disastrous incident. Ironically, too, my uncle was a Biafran soldier at the time. These occurrences were especially distressful for people of present-day Akwa Ibom State, since their son and brother, Major General Philip Efiong, was Biafra’s second-in-command. But even he was caught up in the muddle and was subsequently accused by some of his own people of masterminding the violence against them. The allegations continued well after the war.
The creation of states and ensuing wartime ethnic clashes has created a cycle of unending resentment that continues to this day and the prime beneficiary (militarily, economically, and politically) is the “federal side,” particularly the north. Except things have 12 Madiebo, recently changed, after the war most people from present Akwa Ibom State would rather vote in a Hausa or Yoruba president than they would an Igbo president. People who had lived in harmony for many years, despite cultural and linguistic differences, demonstrated a postwar bitterness that has resulted in several boundary clashes and violent disputes. Driving in from Aba to Ikot Ekpene, for instance, there were once gray areas where the people intermingled, married, and freely learned and spoke each other’s languages. Harmony that once existed among these people was eaten up by the war and they have practically lived like sworn enemies that are fanatical about the cultural and ideological borders separating them.
Prior to the war it was not uncommon to have a Hausa Mayor of Enugu, as indeed was the case with Alhaji Umaru Altine. It was also not uncommon to have streets in Enugu named after Annang and Itigidi families as was the case with Akpabio and Imoke Streets in the Government Reserved Area.13 Such ethnic accord has since been curtailed by a consciousness and phobia that inhibit acceptance and impose interactive restrictions.
As the war progressed, therefore, the concept of secession for minorities would eventually evolve into a potential economic and political threat. Aggravated by clashes with Igbos, this situation is succinctly explained by Raph Uwechue:
For the minorities of the Eastern Region it shut the safety valves that gave them access to political and economic protection which the larger and more powerful Federation provided them. In this respect therefore, it can be said that secession only shifted the problem of domination—the very same problem it purported to solve—in favor of the majority tribe—the Ibos—at the expense of the minorities.
The Unique Rivers Situation
Even more intriguing is how the unfolding ethnic divide and resentment has played out in present-day Rivers State. I have read and listened to allegations by the people of this State, including the renowned Ikwerre writer, Elechi Amadi, about how Igbos had tried to drag them into Biafra, annex their homeland and destroy their lives during the war. One of the initial self-assertive moves undertaken by the people of Rivers was by way of the “Abandoned Property” controversy, for which Igbos have alleged an unconscionable and underhanded seizure of their pre-war properties. To further reassert themselves and reclaim their communities, the Rivers people have painstakingly prefixed the names of some of their towns with an “R” in order to eliminate any notion that these towns belong to the Igbos. Subsequently, “Umuomasi” is now “Rumuomasi,” “Umuobiakani” is “Rumuobiakani,” “Umukurushi” is “Rumukurushi,” and “Umuigbo” is “Rumuigbo.” I certainly do not question the rights of Rivers people to struggle for self-determination and just as I do not claim full knowledge of the factors that have stirred their disputes with Igbos, I also do not have any moral right to discount the contention that they have merely reclaimed the authentic names of their towns, thus stemming a complete takeover by the Igbos. My concern, however, is the truth that tensions between Igbos and the people of Rivers State, whether they existed prior to the war or not, were certainly and intentionally exacerbated by the conflict. In the end, neither the Igbos nor the people of Rivers benefit from their subsisting discord. The real beneficiary is the Federal Government or “federal side,” which, from the onset of the war, deviously warmed its way into the hearts of the Rivers people, masking itself as their genuine friend.

I will digress briefly. For a long time I have observed, and have been somewhat baffled by the fact that most of the Ikwerre people I have met from Rivers State bear Igbo names and speak Igbo in addition to their indigenous language. I remember while taking part in the NYSC15 and an Igbo participant snidely asked a young Ikwerre man whose name was “Amadi,” “why don’t you change your name to ‘Ramadi’ so that you will no longer bear an Igbo name?” Without all the proof I need, I suspect that Ikwerres and Igbos have a historical, cultural, and linguistic connection that runs deep. How ironic if this were true. But, then again, I have also listened with much interest to Ikwerre nationalists who assert that their sociolinguistic connection to Igbos is similar to the connection between the Dutch and Germans, or between Italians and the Spanish. If no one is saying that these groups of people are “similar,” then people ought to stop claiming that Igbos and Ikwerres are “similar.” This argument seems to carry some validity.

The bottom line, however, is that it is much easier to control people in conflict with each other; they can’t fight back because resistance demands unity. Meanwhile, the north, in spite of its ethnic diversity, remains substantially united and continues to wax strong politically and militarily, courtesy of the Hausa language widely spoken in that region, the prevalent practice of Islam and its civil war victory.

If the Rivers people have not learned that their professed wartime friend was never really their friend, they should revisit their abandonment to the environmental hazards caused by oil exploration on their lands. Ken Saro Wiwa, onetime outspoken opponent of Biafra, would eventually find himself in an intense and bitter postwar struggle with former “federal” friends over the degradation of Ogoniland and waterways by oil companies. He finally lost his life as a result of this faceoff. Ultimately, government took sides with the oil companies and not Saro Wiwa or the Ogoni people. Oil companies will only get away with whatever a ruling government allows them to get away with and the only way a government would permit oil companies to get away with ecological destruction is if the government has little or no regards for the victims of the problem. This has apparently been the case in oil producing parts of Rivers State. It is absurd to expect oil-producing states to be responsible for maintaining security and proper professional conduct regarding drilling activities when they have no say in the commercial management of the product. Such protection should come from the sole regulator of the product, the Federal Government. The apparent indifference of the Federal Government indicates that oil takes precedence over the quality of life of the people from whose land the resource is tapped. There are those who claim that Biafra would have also had a similar exploitative attitude towards oil producing areas if it had won the war. While I disagree with this projection because there is no basis for it, I guess we will never know….

In January 2009, the Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi delivered a speech at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C. (which I attended) on the economic and infrastructural progress being made in his state.16 He admitted, however, that his greatest problem is dealing with a bogus federal structure made up of weak federating units. With absolute rights over all mineral resources in Nigeria, he accused the Federal Government of profiting enormously off of oil from states like his, while the indigenous owners of the resource are unable to see, smell, touch or fully benefit from it.

He traced this injustice to an increasing reduction in derivation that began with 100 percent under the British Government, shifted to 50 percent and then fell to zero after the civil war.18 Coincidence?
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum