Igboists Forum - Nigerian Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Announcements

JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VOTE: Should parents pay children for good grades?

JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? Poll_c1024%JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? Poll_c10 24% 
[ 5 ]
JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? Poll_c1076%JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? Poll_c10 76% 
[ 16 ]

Total Votes : 21

Poll closed
Paradise
Paradise
Administrator
Administrator
Gender Gender : Male
Time Online : 8d 3h 36m 31s
State : Ebonyi
My Club My Club : Barcelona
Awards :

PostParadise Thu 07 Jul 2016, 8:04 pm

VOTE AND ARGUE THIS TOPIC

Today's parents and sometimes even relatives other than parents extremely are willing to financially “reward” students for positive results in the classroom or school. Is this a smart move, or
could it be sending the wrong message, both financially and academically to the child or children?

Do you think or feel that the Government of every country should put a law that will force parents in Nigeria to pay their children for having good grades in schools? question

Remember, your idea is needed. Share it and the best will be rewarded by #Nigerianpalaceforum who ever has the highest likes or awarded with the "BEST REPLY" for his quality points will be duely rewarded.

The topic will last for one week before we move over to the next debate.

THANKS

Last edited by Paradise on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Chidimma
Chidimma
Lv3: Senior Member
My Club My Club : Real Madrid

PostChidimma Fri 08 Jul 2016, 12:12 am

I don't think is a good idea for a parent to pay their ward for their good grades.

The parents are the one paying the school fees, buying textbooks and note books and ever other things needed at school. It will encourage the children to perform better. But should not be made mandatory to parents because they are those who cannot afford extra expenses.
Deswimmer
Deswimmer
Administrator
Administrator
Time Online : 50d 3h 17m 1s
State : Enugu
Awards :

PostDeswimmer Fri 08 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

I don't see it as a reasonable thing for parents to pay their children for their good grades. It is the Reasonable for children to perform excellent for their future but if an individual parent wishes to reward their children. It should be entirely their own opinion but it should not be legalized. THanks
Gold
Gold
Time Online : 366d 8h 58m 42s
My Club My Club : Chelsea

PostGold Fri 08 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm

Deswimmer wrote:I don't see it as a reasonable thing for parents to pay their children for their good grades. It is the Reasonable for children to perform excellent for their future but if an individual parent wishes to reward their children. It should be entirely their own opinion but it should not be legalized. THanks

I support you @Deswimmer
Gold
Gold

PostGold Fri 08 Jul 2016, 10:42 pm

Deswimmer wrote:I don't see it as a reasonable thing for parents to pay their children for their good grades. It is the Reasonable for children to perform excellent for their future but if an individual parent wishes to reward their children. It should be entirely their own opinion but it should not be legalized. THanks
Hatch
Hatch
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Time Online : 10m 18s
State : Ebonyi State
My Club My Club : Manchester United
Awards :

PostHatch Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:06 pm

I support the motion with no concrete points to back it up
Geaty
Geaty
Lv2: Member

PostGeaty Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:28 pm

First of all, I proudly voted No on this topic which states that Federal Government should put a law that will force Nigerian Parents to Reward or pay their child or children for their good grades in school with my points below;

Parents should never pay their child or children for getting a good grade in school. I know that many rich parents who are willing to pay their children for good grades will argue that it is a child’s job to go to school and learn. Therefore, they should be compensated for positive results just as they are at their jobs without having it in mind that the child is learning and being trained while they themselves are rendering services which require payment.

Let me ask you this harmless question, ''are your children rewarding you for cooking for them, washing their clothes, cleaning the rooms etc?'' This is a very clear argument and logically speaking, it does make sense to put a child on payment for his or her good grades because the children's mindset a very minor and should not be corrupted with the virus of getting paid for doing his or her duty of learning.

With no doubt, reward for good work is very good but it is only needed when you require a short or rapid result which I don't think a child training is that short. Again, rewards are generally effective for just a short-term goals only, and it can practically  distract students from fully learning or understanding the subject at hand.

Moreso, you should bear it in mind that the rewards are to be very consistent and also increase as the child grows in order to be effective and remain effective. This is because what you give a child in primary one will be less relevant when the child goes into primary six. Some teachers have discovered that once tangible rewards were removed from situations, students lose their motivation and interest.

Rewards to children can impose a negative impact on student's intrinsic motivation, this were word from Psychologist Edward Deci.

Experiment carried out by Deci which is he used to support his above theory was by dividing college students into two different groups, and asked them to complete a puzzle. One group was paid, and the other was not. As time passed by, Deci found out that the paid group did not continue to solve the puzzle once the experiment ended, whereas the unpaid group continued.  He argued that receiving a monetary or extrinsic reward can reduce intrinsic interest, or even prevent students from forming intrinsic interest altogether.

Finally, this will in a long run expose the children to demanding rewards for every little services they render. And the word "CHARITY" and ''SELFLESS DUTIES'' will be no more and will be lost in our future dictionary.

I have been able to prove that parents should never and never reward their children for their good grades. But if it is done once in a while, then it is a welcome development. But making it mandatory is a bad one and if not stopped will ruin the children and the future will be a war zone where callous behaviours will be the order of the day.

Thanks.

Last edited by Geaty on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geaty
Geaty

PostGeaty Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:29 pm

First of all, I proudly voted No on this topics which states that Federal Government should force Nigerian Parents to Reward or pay their child or children for their good grades in school with my points below

Parents should never pay their child or children for getting a good grade in school. I know that many parents who are willing to pay their children for good grades will argue that it is a child’s job to go to school and learn. Therefore, they should be compensated for positive results just as they are at their jobs.

Let me ask you are your children rewarding you for cooking for them, washing their clothes, cleaning the rooms etc. This is a every clear argument and logically speaking, it does make sense to put a child on payment for his or her good grades because
Godfather
Godfather
Time Online : 52d 8h 17m 28s
State : Enugu
My Club My Club : Manchester City

PostGodfather Sat 09 Jul 2016, 5:34 am

@Geaty I buy your idea but not completely. Do you have idea that the rewards could be a motivational factor towards getting the student in a correct academical track and focus?
Xflint
Xflint
Time Online : 2h 20m 29s
State : nil

PostXflint Sat 09 Jul 2016, 11:32 am

Geaty wrote:First of all, I proudly voted No on this topic which states that Federal Government should put a law that will force Nigerian Parents to Reward or pay their child or children for their good grades in school with my points below;

Parents should never pay their child or children for getting a good grade in school. I know that many rich parents who are willing to pay their children for good grades will argue that it is a child’s job to go to school and learn. Therefore, they should be compensated for positive results just as they are at their jobs without having it in mind that the child is learning and being trained while they themselves are rendering services which require payment.

Let me ask you this harmless question, ''are your children rewarding you for cooking for them, washing their clothes, cleaning the rooms etc?'' This is a very clear argument and logically speaking, it does make sense to put a child on payment for his or her good grades because the children's mindset a very minor and should not be corrupted with the virus of getting paid for doing his or her duty of learning.

With no doubt, reward for good work is very good but it is only needed when you require a short or rapid result which I don't think a child training is that short. Again, rewards are generally effective for just a short-term goals only, and it can practically distract students from fully learning or understanding the subject at hand.

Moreso, you should bear it in mind that the rewards are to be very consistent and also increase as the child grows in order to be effective and remain effective. This is because what you give a child in primary one will be less relevant when the child goes into primary six. Some teachers have discovered that once tangible rewards were removed from situations, students lose their motivation and interest.

Rewards to children can impose a negative impact on student's intrinsic movitation, this were word from Psychologist Edward Deci.

Experiment carried out by Deci which is he used to support his above theory was by dividing college students into two different groups, and asked them to complete a puzzle. One group was paid, and the other was not. As time passed by, Deci found out that the paid group did not continue to solve the puzzle once the experiment ended, whereas the unpaid group continued. He argued that receiving a monetary or extrinsic reward can reduce intrinsic interest, or even prevent students from forming intrinsic interest altogether.

Finally, this will in a long run expose the children to demanding rewards for every little services they render. And the word "CHARITY" and ''SELFLESS DUTIES'' will be no more and will be lost in our future dictionary.

I have been able to prove that parents should never and never reward their children for their good grades. But if it is done once in a while, then it is a welcome develpment. But making it mandatory is a bad one and if not stopped will ruin the children and the future will be a war zone where callous behaviours will be the order of the day.

Thanks.

Well said @Geaty. Who can counter this
Xflint
Xflint
Time Online : 2h 20m 29s
State : nil

PostXflint Sat 09 Jul 2016, 11:42 am

Godfather wrote:@Geaty I buy your idea but not completely. Do you have idea that the rewards could be a motivational factor towards getting the student in a correct academical track and focus?

Real idea. But try to put your ideas to gather.
Paradise
Paradise
Administrator
Administrator
Time Online : 8d 3h 36m 31s
State : Ebonyi
Awards :

PostParadise Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:08 pm

Xflint wrote:
Godfather wrote:@Geaty I buy your idea but not completely. Do you have idea that the rewards could be a motivational factor towards getting the student in a correct academical track and focus?

Real idea. But try to put your ideas to gather.
I really think so @Xflint
Loveth
Loveth
Time Online : 13m 8s
State : Rivers
My Club My Club : Liverpool

PostLoveth Sun 10 Jul 2016, 1:45 pm

Why should parents pay their children. And if government ever put a law on this, then they are quite clueless
Monsterman
Monsterman

PostMonsterman Sun 10 Jul 2016, 7:34 pm

This debate hurt ooo....

Maaa go gather my points and idea i dey come JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? 1f64c  JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? 1f3c3
Marks
Marks
Time Online : 428d 22h 32m 41s
State : Nil
My Club My Club : Juventus

PostMarks Sun 10 Jul 2016, 8:58 pm

Monsterman wrote:This debate hurt ooo....

Maaa go gather my points and idea i dey come JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? 1f64c  JOIN CONTEST: Should Government Force Parents to Pay Their Children for Their Good Grades? 1f3c3
Do am fast guy..... may you kick this guy @Geaty out
Geaty wrote:First of all, I proudly voted No on this topic which states that Federal Government should put a law that will force Nigerian Parents to Reward or pay their child or children for their good grades in school with my points below;

With no doubt, reward for good work is very good but it is only needed when you require a short or rapid result which I don't think a child training is that short. Again, rewards are generally effective for just a short-term goals only, and it can practically  distract students from fully learning or understanding the subject at hand.

Rewards to children can impose a negative impact on student's intrinsic motivation, this were word from Psychologist Edward Deci.

Experiment carried out by Deci which is he used to support his above theory was by dividing college students into two different groups, and asked them to complete a puzzle. One group was paid, and the other was not. As time passed by, Deci found out that the paid group did not continue to solve the puzzle once the experiment ended, whereas the unpaid group continued.  He argued that receiving a monetary or extrinsic reward can reduce intrinsic interest, or even prevent students from forming intrinsic interest altogether.

I have been able to prove that parents should never and never reward their children for their good grades. But if it is done once in a while, then it is a welcome development. But making it mandatory is a bad one and if not stopped will ruin the children and the future will be a war zone where callous behaviours will be the order of the day.

Thanks.
Gold
Gold

PostGold Tue 12 Jul 2016, 2:01 pm

@Geaty you are great with writing. Keep it up. I know some people are waiting for the last moment to post theirs as usual.
Venusg
Venusg
State : Edo State

PostVenusg Tue 12 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm

I proudly voted yes with the following reasons but before is start, I want to say good afternoon to every member of Nigerian Palace Forum.

I want supporting the motion which says that Nigerian Government Should Force Parents to Pay Their Children For Their Good Grades.

I know that many will say NO, but I stand to say that children should be paid their good grade because it would make them strive to do more in their school. If children are paid for better grades, they will want to do better and better in school. When students are paid for good grades, they learn that working hard and making good choices does have its good rewards just like God rewards every one on earth for his or her life well or badly spent. Children will try to make better grades, in the hopes of earning more money.

Furthermore, paying children for their good grades will also enable them learn responsibility and the value of money; rather than just begging their Father or Mother for all the toys and video games they want, they will work harder and save up for their next purchase. Moreover, many schools have fundraisers for various charities and projects in their different schools. Rather than dragging Mom across the neighborhood to sell cookies and making Dad bug his coworkers to buy chocolates, the students will buy these on their own, and help the school itself.

Again, it enhance their chances of making and maintaining high grades. To be candid without bias, one most have it in mind, motivation comes in many ways and from a variety of sources. When I was in primary school, our neighbor promised to buy a bicycle for me if and only if I fail in school and become the last position in my class. Because of this I worked harder to fail and become a failure in school just to get that bicycle. Even when I know what to write and will not write it. I will prefer to pass my book empty like that. Until, I was asked to repeat the class. This happened in my primary four (4). My mom got furious with me and unleashed her anger on me for taking 105 out of 106 in my class. What is this? My poor mummy asked. After crying from her long and endless lashes I told her that Mrs. Blessing promised to my a bicycle of me if and only if I take class in class. My mom was surprised. She scolded darkness of hell out of that lady. Then she told me that the woman was fooling herself and she promised me to buy Christmas clothes, wristwatches, etc for me if I can pick up. She even took me out for shopping. I finally came back to becoming the best in the class.

What I am trying to point out in my little story is that paying the children enhances their ability to make good grades. This will make the children to actually try harder in school. A lot of kids just slack off and don't care about their grades. Everyone on earth wants money and children are not excluded. If they are paid to do good during school, it will help. I guarantee that most children will have higher grades and will do better in school if you actually give them something they want. Schools will also be in favor of this because it makes them look smarter and better.

THANKS........................
Venusg
Venusg
State : Edo State

PostVenusg Tue 12 Jul 2016, 2:53 pm

Thanks.
I give you my like @Geaty you really tried. Let us wait see who wins
Lillian
Lillian
Time Online : 10m 32s
State : Abuja

PostLillian Tue 12 Jul 2016, 3:32 pm

Venusg wrote:
I proudly voted yes with the following reasons but before is start, I want to say good afternoon to every member of Nigerian Palace Forum.

I want supporting the motion which says that Nigerian Government Should Force Parents to Pay Their Children For Their Good Grades.

I know that many will say NO, but I stand to say that children should be paid their good grade because it would make them strive to do more in their school. If children are paid for better grades, they will want to do better and better in school. When students are paid for good grades, they learn that working hard and making good choices does have its good rewards just like God rewards every one on earth for his or her life well or badly spent. Children will try to make better grades, in the hopes of earning more money.

Furthermore, paying children for their good grades will also enable them learn responsibility and the value of money; rather than just begging their Father or Mother for all the toys and video games they want, they will work harder and save up for their next purchase. Moreover, many schools have fundraisers for various charities and projects in their different schools. Rather than dragging Mom across the neighborhood to sell cookies and making Dad bug his coworkers to buy chocolates, the students will buy these on their own, and help the school itself.

Again, it enhance their chances of making and maintaining high grades. To be candid without bias, one most have it in mind, motivation comes in many ways and from a variety of sources. When I was in primary school, our neighbor promised to buy a bicycle for me if and only if I fail in school and become the last position in my class. Because of this I worked harder to fail and become a failure in school just to get that bicycle. Even when I know what to write and will not write it. I will prefer to pass my book empty like that. Until, I was asked to repeat the class. This happened in my primary four (4). My mom got furious with me and unleashed her anger on me for taking 105 out of 106 in my class. What is this? My poor mummy asked. After crying from her long and endless lashes I told her that Mrs. Blessing promised to my a bicycle of me if and only if I take class in class. My mom was surprised. She scolded darkness of hell out of that lady. Then she told me that the woman was fooling herself and she promised me to buy Christmas clothes, wristwatches, etc for me if I can pick up. She even took me out for shopping. I finally came back to becoming the best in the class.

What I am trying to point out in my little story is that paying the children enhances their ability to make good grades. This will make the children to actually try harder in school. A lot of kids just slack off and don't care about their grades. Everyone on earth wants money and children are not excluded. If they are paid to do good during school, it will help. I guarantee that most children will have higher grades and will do better in school if you actually give them something they want. Schools will also be in favor of this because it makes them look smarter and better.

THANKS........................

You really made sense but you childhood story is funny.... Some women self.
Bad_boy
Bad_boy

PostBad_boy Tue 12 Jul 2016, 4:59 pm

@Venusg your work is cool and well justified unlike Geaty who piece of work is scattered though he made better points.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum