Igboists Forum - Nigerian Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Announcements

Official ASUP strike Update Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Webtech
Webtech
Time Online : 4h 8m 25s
State : Ph
My Club My Club : Tottenham Hotspurs
Awards :

PostWebtech Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm

I have decided to create a particular thread regarding to Academic Staff of Unions Polytechnic (ASUP) strike update and information.

Let us try to keep the board clean....
Paradise
Paradise
Administrator
Administrator
Gender Gender : Male
Time Online : 8d 3h 36m 31s
State : Ebonyi
My Club My Club : Barcelona
Awards :

PostParadise Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:52 pm

Minister of Education has announced that ASUP strike will soon end.
T-bag
T-bag
Lv1: New Member
My Club My Club : Manchester City

PostT-bag Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:20 am

I still dont know why some polytechnics (state and federal) are in section while others are on strike....
Treachx
Treachx
Time Online : 1084d 1h 35m 58s
My Club My Club : Chelsea

PostTreachx Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

The Federal Government will soon resolve the age-long complaints of holders of Higher National Diploma, HND certificates over discriminations against them in favour of degree holders, in the areas of salary, promotion and other fringe benefits.

Already, a meeting of all the Heads of Civil Service of the 36 states of the federation has been scheduled for Ilorin, the Kwara State capital between Monday, February 24 and Friday 28, 2014 to thrash out the knotty issues relating to work schedule and qualifications said to be among the problems causing the disparity between holders of the two certificates.

The Kwara State Head of Service, Alhaji Dabarako Mohammed spoke on the isAsue at a news briefing in Ilorin, yesterday.
Mohammed explained that the rivalry in the area of job schedule between holders of the two certificates would be thoroughly discussed and the issue put to rest once and for all.

“This issue of disparity between holders of HND and degree has been agitating the minds of many Nigerians. It is a very sensitive issue. We will use this needed platform to discuss it once and for all and put the matter to rest. We will discuss their work schedule and make clarifications about it,’’ he said.

According to Mohammed, apart from the Heads of Service, relevant permanent secretaries, directors and deputy directors in 36 states of the federation were among top government functionaries expected to attend the conference.

He described the disparity in academic qualification as sensitive issue, adding that the meeting would thrash out the matter for harmonious working relationship in the nation’s civil service.
Decency
Decency
Lv2: Member
Time Online : 6s
State : Oyinbo, PH

PostDecency Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:50 am

I heard the debate held yesterday.... So, what was their end point?
Webtech
Webtech
Time Online : 4h 8m 25s
State : Ph
My Club My Club : Tottenham Hotspurs
Awards :

PostWebtech Fri 14 Mar 2014, 1:40 am

Meeting between ASUP and FG was unsuccessful again. As they failed to come to terms and strike continues.

The emergency meeting held between the striking polytechnic lecturers ASUP and the
Federal Government of Nigeria ended in a deadlock as nothing meaningful was achieved in the meeting which took place in Abuja on Wednesday evening 12th March, 2014.

“Federal Government has offered nothing other than their former position and ASUP is not accepting that. We see the strike proloonged"

“As a union we have tried to ensure the strike ends and normal academic session is restored but to no avail. Let me say that this is a strange approach by the government to end a serious matter. We have returned this morning back to Yandev to continue with our NEC meeting,” Mr Chirman concluded.
Hatch
Hatch
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Time Online : 10m 18s
State : Ebonyi State
My Club My Club : Manchester United
Awards :

PostHatch Fri 14 Mar 2014, 9:14 pm

Guys what do you think can solve this strike issue?
Paradise
Paradise
Administrator
Administrator
Awards :

PostParadise Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

FG has adopted no work no pay method on the striking lecturers ASUP
Vivian
Vivian
Time Online : 1h 55m 12s
My Club My Club : Arsenal

PostVivian Wed 26 Mar 2014, 7:12 pm

Paradise wrote:FG has adopted no work no pay method on the striking lecturers ASUP
how did u get such info man?
Paradise
Paradise
Administrator
Administrator
Awards :

PostParadise Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:14 pm

Akanu Ibiam Poly, Unwana Rector had a meeting with Oko poly rector, that was where he was informed that the FG has taken that bold step. Those affected by the no work no pay policy are the the College of Educations
Deyongs
Deyongs
Lv3: Senior Member
My Club My Club : Juventus

PostDeyongs Sun 30 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

The Nigerian Labour Congress has asked the Federal Government to take immediate steps to end the long lasting ASUP strike.

Members of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic have been on strike since October 2014 while their counterparts who are members of the Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union (COEASU) have been on strike since December 2013.

In a statement signed by NLC president, Abdulwaheed Omar, the NLC said “The recent breakdown of talks between the Minister of Education and the leadership of
ASUP over the full implementation of the 2009 Agreement it signed with the Federal Government, is at best irresponsible on the part of the Minister who took a hardline
positions and refused to move any inch in the negotiations to allow for mutual consensus”
Deswimmer
Deswimmer
Administrator
Administrator
Time Online : 50d 3h 17m 1s
State : Enugu
My Club My Club : Real Madrid
Awards :

PostDeswimmer Sat 05 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

President Godluck Jonathan to meet with ASUP on moday over the long existing strike
Gold
Gold
Time Online : 366d 8h 58m 42s
My Club My Club : Chelsea

PostGold Fri 11 Apr 2014, 7:38 pm

No work no pay don start oooo. I will say goodmrning to FG even though its night. Bcos this is the time they have woken up.
Godfather
Godfather
Time Online : 52d 8h 17m 28s

PostGodfather Fri 18 Apr 2014, 7:53 am

Nice move.....
Godfather
Godfather
Time Online : 52d 8h 17m 28s

PostGodfather Fri 18 Apr 2014, 7:54 am

Nice move.....
Horseman
Horseman
Time Online : 37m 42s
State : Nigeria

PostHorseman Fri 18 Apr 2014, 6:51 pm

any latest news on Asup strike
Decency
Decency
Time Online : 6s
State : Oyinbo, PH

PostDecency Mon 21 Apr 2014, 1:00 am

They are still wasting peoples time
Xavison
Xavison
Time Online : 12h 23m 16s

PostXavison Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:02 am

ASUP Planning a Nationwide Protest on 29th, April, 2014.

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), on Wednesday, said it had
concluded plans to stage a nationwide protest over what it described as government’s insensitivity to its lingering
strike.

The National President of the union, Dr Chibuzo Asomugha, told newsmen in Abuja that the protest would take place
on April 29.

This is coming on the heels of Kebbi State chapter of the union’s decision on Tuesday to call off the 10-month old strike.

Asomugha said failure by the Federal Government to meet the demands of ASUP and the Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union (COEASU) and the consequent
shutdown of the nation’s public
polytechnics and colleges of education was worrisome.

“In fact, we are planning for the protest on April 29 and if it doesn’t come up on the 29th, then it would be immediately after May Day.

“We have been waiting for the federal government. The strike should have been suspended about three weeks ago but
we haven’t heard from them.

“So, with this kind of development we do not even think there is any measure of sincerity on the part of the government,’’ he said.

According to him, the strike has lingered and members are beginning to give in to pressure.

“Ten months into the strike, some
chapters are coming under pressure but there are provisions in our constitution to take care of such betrayals. He expressed confidence in the resilience
of ASUP members, He said the union would hold final meeting on the proposed strike with the
Nigeria Labour Congress and other
stakeholders.

Nyesom Wike, Supervising Minister of Education, had in a meeting in February with the union, accused it of thwarting
government’s efforts at resolving the strike.

The government later set up another committee, headed by the Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu, and was yet to
convince the striking lecturers. [NAN]
Barcaman
Barcaman
Time Online : 46m 24s
State : Nigeria

PostBarcaman Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:48 pm

Xavison wrote:ASUP Planning a Nationwide Protest on 29th, April, 2014.

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), on Wednesday, said it had
concluded plans to stage a nationwide protest over what it described as government’s insensitivity to its lingering
strike.

The National President of the union, Dr Chibuzo Asomugha, told newsmen in Abuja that the protest would take place
on April 29.

This is coming on the heels of Kebbi State chapter of the union’s decision on Tuesday to call off the 10-month old strike.

Asomugha said failure by the Federal Government to meet the demands of ASUP and the Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union (COEASU) and the consequent
shutdown of the nation’s public
polytechnics and colleges of education was worrisome.

“In fact, we are planning for the protest on April 29 and if it doesn’t come up on the 29th, then it would be immediately after May Day.

“We have been waiting for the federal government. The strike should have been suspended about three weeks ago but
we haven’t heard from them.

“So, with this kind of development we do not even think there is any measure of sincerity on the part of the government,’’ he said.

According to him, the strike has lingered and members are beginning to give in to pressure.

“Ten months into the strike, some
chapters are coming under pressure but there are provisions in our constitution to take care of such betrayals. He expressed confidence in the resilience
of ASUP members, He said the union would hold final meeting on the proposed strike with the
Nigeria Labour Congress and other
stakeholders.

Nyesom Wike, Supervising Minister of Education, had in a meeting in February with the union, accused it of thwarting
government’s efforts at resolving the strike.

The government later set up another committee, headed by the Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu, and was yet to
convince the striking lecturers. [NAN]

Nice move from ASUP. I never knew these boys are still at home.
Bad_boy
Bad_boy

PostBad_boy Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:49 pm

The protest which was planned to hold today 29th of April was partly disrupted when police officers were firing tear gas at the protesters which mainly includes Lecturers and student. But the protesters, maintained their cool and said they will not leave the venue.

ASUP organised the protest to show displeasure at the federal government’s handling of the strike by polytechnic lecturers ASUP, and college lecturers, COEASU.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum